We’ve got the Top 4 LOCAL Southern Delaware Road Trip Picks. Plus the 411 on the Eats, Sites and Events for the 2012 Memorial Day Weekend at the Delaware Beaches!
Memorial Day Weekend the official start of summer is upon us. What do you have planned for the long weekend – a stay-cation or vacation? Thinking of heading south maybe for a quick getaway, an overnight or just a day trip? Head to Southern Delaware where the sun, sand and sea are always the ultimate attractions. Our Delaware Beaches are award winning recipients to: Americas Best Boardwalks, SuperStar Beaches & Best Secret Beaches on Earth! How lucky are we to be so close? Just 90 miles from pure bliss!
P.S. Don’t pass on this post, if you are a local Delaware beach goer – you might find a thing or two unique for your next adventure. Take it from us, we put some time in it and we’ve got a little extra know!
Top 4 LOCAL Southern Delaware Road Trip Picks
You’ll meet Lewes(prounouced “Lewis” not “Lews”) at the 5 points intersection and hang a left on Rt 9 and head east. Well known as the The First City in the First State and my birthright. Lewes has so much local character, many very friendly natives, plenty of historical heritage and minimal commercial distractions. Beware you might not want to leave. 2nd street just before the draw bridge of the Lewes-Rehoboth Canal offers quaint shops, fantastic eating establishments and lots of historic attractions all within walking distance. Plus you have your choice of beaches – 1) the bay, due east from the bridge, has free access to the public(meters are in force), minimal waves for the little tikes and offers fabulous views of the Delaware Bay including the Lighthouses, the Point, the Cape-May Lewes Ferry, etc. – or venture on to 2) the Cape Henlopen State Park just south of the Bay, where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Delaware Bay. The DE State Park requires a miminal fee but has so much to offer its totally worth your while…camping, hiking, the Great Walking Dune, a nature center, swimming, a bathhouse, concessions, a fishing pier, drive on beach and observation towesr are just a few of the attractions.
Lewes Favorite Restaurant Picks
- Irish Eyes on the Canalfront over the bridge (3rd times a Charm! with fantastic views of the canal(inside & out), awesome entertainment & love the fried pickles!)
- Striper Bites (awesome nautical atmosphere serving great seafood & tapas)(note Closed on Sundays)
- Kings Homemade Ice Cream Shop on 2nd street(31 years serving scoops in Lewes – definitely doing sweets right!)
- Lazy Susan’s (The Maryland HOT FAT Blue Crabs ROCK! & the lazy atmosphere can’t be beat. Find on FB @Lazy Susan’s Hot Fat Crabs)
Lewes Memorial Day Weekend Events
- Friday, May 25, 6pm | 2012 Overfalls Foundation Annual Party at the Virden Center, Univ of DE College of Earth, Ocean & Environment
- Saturday, May 26 8am until Noon | Historic Lewes Farmer’s Market opens in Shipcarpenter Square @ 7:45am Enjoy the Shortest Parade Ever
- Saturday, May 26 10am until 4pm| 3rd Annual Member’s Day & Delaware By Hand Fine Arts & Crafts Show at The Zwaanendael Museum
- Saturday, May 26 10am until 4:30pm | “The DeBraak Story”: Archaeology Month program, Zwaanendael Museum. Free & open to the public.
Rehoboth is next in route just south of Lewes about 5 miles. Rehoboth(spelled RehobOth not bEth) is well known as the Nation’s Summer Capital. My brother even was reminded of this when he live in Ft. Lauderdale. Believe it! Rehoboth offers something for everyone – lifeguarded FREE beaches, a mile long wood boardwalk, a plethora of restaurants, a bandstand, amusement rides for the kids, fabulous shopping(including one mile of Outlets just north of the town limits), Jungle Jims(water slides, bumper boats, batting cages and more), and a Jolly Trolley ride that will take you where you need to go between Rehoboth & Dewey Beaches.
Rehoboth Favorite Restaurant Picks:
Big Fish Grill on Coastal Hwy (the freshest catches at the beach! – the original location a premier spot for casual dining in the region -kids are welcome!)
Dog Fish Head Brewing & Eats on Rehoboth Ave (the infamous DE brewery & the state’s only legal distillery where they make lots of hand-crafted spirits, upstairs in the Brewpub. Plus live music everynight over the weekend starting at 10pm)
Fins Fishhouse & Raw Bar on Rehoboth Ave (raw, steamed, baked, fried…they have it all)
Arena’s Famous Deli & Bar on Rehoboth Ave & Coastal Hwy & Lewes (The best for the ultimate sandwich creations! And more than 90 beers in the Hall of Foam!)
Nicola’s Pizza on Rehoboth Ave & 1st Street take your pick (the home of the Nic-O-boli, great pizza & plenty of fun, Bring the kids! Odds are you’ll get a warm welcome from owners Joan or one of the Nicks(Sr & Jr) or ask for my sister-in-law, Marye, she serves up one incredible experience on Reho Ave and is working all weekend thru!)
AMERICA’S BEST BOARDWALK
American Profile Magazine split the vote for America’s Best Boardwalk between Bethany Beach and Rehoboth Beach. “Delaware beaches have the best boardwalks”, the magazine said. Check out the Article here
Rehoboth Beach Memorial Day Weekend Events
- Saturday, May 26 11am until 3pm | “World War II: Rehoboth Beach” exhibit at Rehoboth Beach Museum, 511 Rehoboth Avenue. The impact that the world’s largest and most devastating war had on one small coastal community is shown through a collaborative effort between Rehoboth Beach Historical Society and the Delaware Division of Historical & Cultural Affairs. For more information, call 302-227-7310.
Just a sneeze past Rehoboth over the bridge 1 mile and you’ll land in my absolute favorite town of Dewey Beach, Delaware. Dewey is A Way of Life without a doubt. You’ll understand after you’ve spent a few days wandering about the town. Whether you are single, married, familied, divorced or widowed, you can find fun & sun here guaranteed! If not, blame US. The people watching is without a doubt the numero uno best attraction in Dewey, morning, noon or night. Perfectly situated amidst the Delaware Bay and the Atlantic Ocean – Dewey is about 1 mile in length and 2 city blocks wide – Dewey may be small but it’s BIG in character. The beaches are incredible – complete with sand, sun & fun – recreation is permitted here! Plus you can walk effortlessly from north end to south end. Better yet park your car on Friday and claim it on Monday – just remember where you parked it AND most importantly get a parking pass! There are very few meters in Dewey and street parking requires a permit which you can get daily, weekend or season passes at DBPD, 105 Rodney Ave. Grab the Jolly Trolley for all your traveling needs!
Dewey Beach Favorite Restaurant Picks
- The Starboard (there’s always a celebration at the heart of Dewey – The Starboard! Day & Night. Live Music. Great Breakfast & Bloody Mary Bar)
- Ed’s Chicken & Crabs (walk off the beach type casual, plenty of outside seating, the only BYOB in Dewey, FabUlous large CRABS & juicy BBQ Chicken)
- Rusty Rudder (biggest DECK in Dewey, live Reggae daily & live music every night, libations that insist you relax)
- Que Pasa (Not just what’s happening, but where it’s happening! Kick back on the beach and BE SERVED with Mexican Cuisine and bay views)
- Two Seas Restaurant (The Locals best kept secret(shhh don’t tell) this place is amazing! Fab food & the best views of DEWEY – check out the roof top deck!)
Don’t worry about dragging your umbrella or chairs to the beach ~ Dewey Beach Service, aka “LYNAM”, has you covered! You can rent all apparatus on the beach and the Dewey Beach Service Staff will even position your chair & umbrella exactly where you’d like ahhhh…doesn’t get much better than that! Plus DBS offers refreshments(hotdogs, drinks, candy, snacks) And watch for the Planet Ice water ice golf cart – a must have treat before you leave the beach. WELCOME to DEWEY BEACH!
Dewey Beach Memorial Day Weekend Events
- Monday, May 28 8am | The Highway One Pictures 5K kicks off the 9th race season of Seven Sisters & Two Brothers of Dewey Beach. This race begins at the Rusty Rudder, 113 Dickinson St., Dewey Beach. Race-day registration is $25. Runners start at 8 a.m. Check out the whole series of races at www.sevensistersdeweybeach.com
In June 2011, National Resources Defense Counsel awarded “Superstar Beach” status to four U.S. beaches featured in their 5-star rating guide. These beaches deserve special notice for not only receiving a 5-star rating this year, but for having perfect testing results for the past three years, indicating a history of very good water quality. The top 2 of those beaches are:
- 1 . Delaware: Rehoboth Beach-Rehoboth Avenue Beach, in Sussex County
- 2 . Delaware: Dewey Beach, in Sussex County
Read the Press Release: NRDC’s star-criteria system awards up to five stars to each of the 200 popular beaches in our ratings guide. Stars are earned for exceeding health standards less than 5 percent of the time last year and over the last three years, and for the following best practices: testing more than once a week, notifying the public promptly when tests reveal bacteria levels exceeding health standards, and posting closings and advisories both online and at the beach.
A small hike south of Dewey about 15 miles, Bethany offers a wide array of recreation and relaxation. Just look for the famous Totem pole and hang a left! Nestled between the Atlantic Ocean and inland Bays, Bethany is known as the Quiet Resort. Quiet maybe but not absent of activity – there’s one incredible 1/2 mile boardwalk with a bandstand, plenty of good eats, great golf courses, tennis courts, swimming, fishing, boating, volleyball and more.
Bethany Beach was named one of the 15 “Best Secret Beaches on Earth” by Travel and Leisure Magazine in March, and its boardwalk was also named one of the best in the country by Forbes Magazine. Check out the Article here
Bethany Beach Favorite Restaurant Picks
Mango Mike’s, the only oceanfront restaurant just off the boardwalk (2 ocean front decks, dinner under the palm trees, sipping on a frosty Mango Margarita at our Mango Bar; you are guaranteed a view of the ocean while you are swept away to the Tropics by the Carribbean beats & Exotic Eats)
Bethany Blues just off main street on Penn Ave (good ol’ finger lickin Ribs & Chix BBQ – the best in DE(Lewes location too) their smoker is completely wood fired and was built for BB in Mesquite, TX, where BBQ is more than food; it’s a religion. Just follow your nose.)
Cottage Cafe coastal highway (fine dining in a fine atmosphere, Live music Fri & Sat)
Misaki Sushi (nor’easter rolls are incredible we hear! call (302) 539-0500)
Bluecoast Seafood Grill (owned my Matt Haley – BSG serves fresh, delicious, simple seafood. Located in an incomparable natural setting and boasts the colors, flavors and warmth of East Coast cuisine, complemented by big-city quality, service and value.
Bethany Beach Memorial Day Weekend Events
Saturday, May 26 7:30pm |US NAVY COMMODORES Jazz performing at the Bandstand
Sunday, May 27 7:30pm | Randy Lee Ashcraft & the Saltwater Cowboys performing at the Bandstand
Monday, May 28 11am | Memorial Day Services at the Bandstand
Above ALL, wherever you spend it, have a wonderful, fun and SAFE holiday weekend!
NorthDelaWHEREHappening.com, a digital magazine, is your source for everything happening in and around New Castle County, North Delaware. Enjoy our hyper-local coverage of restaurants, events, people, places and everything else fun & exciting in the area. Follow us on Facebook @NorthDelaWHERE & Twitter @NDelaWHEREHapp; join in the conversation, enter contests, and be the first to know What’s HAPPENING and Where in North DelaWHERE!