Festive Gin & Juice Cocktails. When looking for a signature holiday cocktail, look no further than Delaware’s own Dog Fish Head Distilling for a quality product to make your Spirits bright! This week, we are featuring 3 old school cocktails with an off-centered holiday twist, using Dog Fish Head Distilling Co.’s Compelling Gin and Whole Leaf Gin.
This Holiday Cocktail Corner is brought to you by Premier Wine & Spirits!
SAVE 10% on all Dogfish Head Distilling Products only at Premier Wine & Spirits, this Holiday when you mention NorthDelaWHEREhappening.com
- 2 oz Dogfish Head Distilling Co. Compelling Gin
- 3/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 3/4 oz Pomegranate Juice
- 3/4 oz Simple Syrup
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and pour in the gin, lime juice and simple syrup.
- Stir vigorously with a long cocktail spoon until very cold.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or martini glass, or strain over a rocks glass filled with ice, depending on preference.
- Garnish with the lime wheel
- 1 1/2 oz Dogfish Head Whole Leaf Gin
- 4 oz Fresh Apple Cider
- Fill a rocks glass with ice and pour in gin and the apple cider
- Stir vigorously with a cocktail spoon until very cold
- Garnish with winter apple
“Back in ’02, Dogfish Head was the first to distill hops in gin. Distilling with hops is tricky, because you are hyper-concentrating flavors, and it can be tough to single out the desirable notes. So we adopted the ‘continual hopping’ method used to make our signature lineup of IPAs to gradually dose in whole-leaf hops. The result is a gin bursting with hop goodness.” – Sam Calagione
How Whole Leaf Gin is Made
Gin is simply vodka distilled with juniper berries and other botanicals. And what better base to start with than our very own scratch-made Analog Vodka.
Along with coriander seeds, angelica root, chamomile flowers, cubeb berries and other botanicals, Head Distiller Graham Hamblett adds whole-leaf hops in each step of distillation.
A Merry Compelling Collins
- 1 1/2 oz Dogfish Head Compelling Gin
- 1/2 oz Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- 4 oz Soda
- Pour gin, maple syrup, fresh lime juice and soda into a tall glass
- Stir well
- Pour over ice and stir until cold
- Garnish with a sprig of Rosemary and a cherry
‘A medley of compelling ingredients’
“Since the start, our off-centered ales have been inspired by what was found in the spice drawer or cooler of our brewpub’s kitchen. The recipe for Compelling Gin came together the same way, by pulling a medley of compelling ingredients and whatnot from our brewpub.” – Sam Calagione
How Compelling Gin is Made
Gin is simply vodka distilled with juniper berries and other botanicals. And what better base to start with than our very own scratch-made Analog Vodka. Head Distiller Graham Hamblett adds a long list of beautiful culinary ingredients such as coriander, angelica root and lemon peel to make a bright and citrusy gin that’s quite compelling.
Tasting Events at Premier Wine & Spirits
Dogfish Head Distilling Co. Spirit Tastings
Friday, December 18, 2015
Wednesday, December 23, 2015
Sample some of the hottest local spirits in the marketplace today. Visit Premier Wine & Spirits and try out DFH’s Compelling Gin, Analog Vodka and Whole Leaf Gin! All tastings are complimentary. Must be 21 to taste.
Holiday Cocktail Corner is presented by:
Premier Wine & Spirits, celebrating their 6th Holiday Season, offers shoppers the best in service, value, products and experience. Choose from over 600 options in the ever growing craft beer portfolio and thousands of options in the wine and spirits inventory. The Premier Wine & Experience doesn’t end with our expansive products lines but also carries over to our weekly tastings and our gourmet selection of light snacks that pair perfectly with every bottle in the store!
With the holiday season in full swing, we have hundreds of options for customized gift baskets – hand crafted with any bottle in store, holiday treats, including: gourmet chocolates, nuts, cheeses and more! Ideal for the boss, the wife, the best buddy or the favorite client.
Fine Wine, Craft Beers and Spirts Store | Delaware’s Premier Wine and Spirits
Two locations to serve you – 2052 Limestone Road in Pike Creek and 23 West Market Street in Newport.
- LIMESTONE Location: (302) 996-9463 | NEWPORT Location: (302) 999-1500
- Limestone Hours: Mon – Sat: 10AM -10PM Sun: 12 Noon – 8PM
- Newport Hours: Mon – Thurs: 12 Noon – 8PM Fri/Sat: 12 Noon – 9PM