Ready to fire up that grill and invite the BFFs over for some BBQing fun? Whether you are a self-proclaimed grill master or a timid first timer, preparing for fun and yum doesn’t have to be trying. Break out that gigantic spatula, fire up that grill and get ready to spend a lazy afternoon relaxing with friends. Labor Day is right around the corner and the perfect time to celebrate the end of the straw-hat season. Enjoy some fun, unique and alternative ideas to make your BBQ rip roaring! Best of all, leave them wanting for more….
Break it down. The days of momma burgers aren’t gone but sliders, (aka mini burgers), are an easy way to add some variety to your menu. Get more for your money. Scoop up some dinner rolls for make shift buns, hon!
WHERE’S THE BEEF?
Variety is the spice of life, right? So mix it up. Grab some easy and new crowd pleasers. Minimize the beef. Try healthier ground bison, turkey, chicken, crab or veggie burgers as an alternative for traditional red meat burgers. Leave them wanting for more! Instead of beef dogs, try pork and chicken, brats or even some of those fancy chicken or pork sausages(aka grilling links) found in your local meat aisle – sweet apple, red pepper, sweet Italian, Cajun, chipotle, smoked, beer – oh the flavors are endless these days. Top them off with some sweet Hawaiian rolls, potato or wheat.
It’s a party on a stick! If you can slide it on a skewer, you can grill it. That’s the FUN of Kebabs. They are close to foolproof. Try these mixes for something new and fresh. Marinade in advance for even better results.
- Lamb, zucchini and squash
- Chicken, tomatoes and bread cubes(croutons)
- Pork, red onion, and pineapple
- Beef, mushrooms, red peppers
- Shrimp, oranges and shallots
Here comes the experience portion. Who doesn’t like to build their own anything? Add all the standards and then some. Scour your fridge and see what new flavors you can bring to the table. Condiment addicts, you know what we’re talking about. The kids will enjoy this experience too. Think out of the box.
- Mustards – Grey poupon, brown, dijonaise, jalepeno
- Pickles – Sweet, dill, gerkins, hot & spicy, relish
- Secret Sauces – A-1, Worchestshire, Mayo, Salsa, BBQ, Horseradish, garlic, hot sauce, sour cream, ranch dressing, miracle whip, Guacamole
- Cheeses – American, Cheddar, Swiss, Gouda, Mozzarella, Pimento, Pepperjack, Bleu
- Stylin – coleslaw, potato chips, apple slices, mushrooms, grilled tomatoes, bacon, sweet carmelized onion
Instead of potluck offer sideluck or dessertluck- where friends bring the side dishes and/or desserts. Make suggestions, let them pick. Keep it Easy!
- Mac & Cheese
- Caprese salad
- Cucumber salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Baked Beans
- Corn on the Cob(try grilling it)
- Watermelon slices(try ’em on a stick)
- Pizzelle cookies
- Fruit salad(mix it up with all your summer favorites)
- Strawberry shortcake
- Vanilla ice cream(with all the fixings)
Perfect way to end the summer on a light note. Try these sipping ideas made with Bacardi Pineapple Fusion – One of a kind. Unforgettable taste. Caribbean attitude. – with recipes from 4 of your favorite LOCAL establishments.
- Fruity Fusion – Firestone Roasting House on Wilmington’s Riverfront
- Cast Away – Timothy’s of Newark
- Pineapple Fusion Bomb – Thurston’s Pub in Bear
- Pineapple Bay Breeze – Bankshots in Bear
- Get the recipes, click here
FIRE IT UP!