Get out and Get LOCAL this weekend…Every year on April 22nd, more than one billion people around the globe will participate in Earth Day 2013 and help Mobilize the Earth & Face Climate Change. Across the globe, individuals, communities, organizations, and governments acknowledge the amazing planet we call home and take action to protect. Together we will stand united for a sustainable future and call upon individuals, organizations, and governments to do their part.
The Face of Climate Change
Climate change can seem like a remote problem for our leaders, but the fact is that it’s already impacting real people, animals, and beloved places. These Faces of Climate Change are multiplying every day. Fortunately, other Faces of Climate Change are multiplying too: those stepping up to do something about it. Help us personalize the massive challenge climate change presents by taking a photo and telling your story. How has climate change impacted you? What are you doing to be part of the solution?
Attend a LOCAL Earth Day Event and join one of our Earth Day Campaigns as we collect A Billion Acts of Green® and elevate the importance of environmental issues around the world.
Get out & Go LOCAL…
SATURDAY APRIL 20th
3rd Annual DNS Earth Day Festival @ Dupont Environmental Education Center
- 11a – 3p | FREE Admission ~ Earth Day Festival @ Dupont Environmental Education Center. Activities for the whole family. Explore how to think globally and act LOCALLY. Canoeing, live music, crafts, green exhibitors and more! On the Riverfront, Wilmington, DE Free and Fun for All Ages. Rain or Shine – See you there!
Party for the Planet @ the Brandyine Zoo | Earth Day Celebration
- 10a – 3:45p | Party for the Planet @ the Brandywine Zoo. An Earth Day Celebration for Everyone!
Visit the WILD, WILD West right here at the Brandywine Zoo!
Join us for our annual Party for the Planet and have WILD west time. Learn about animals that come from the other side of the United States. There will be live entertainment, learning activities, crafts, live animal presentations and more to help you have a wildly western wonderful time.
Zoo Members: Free | Non-Members: Free with paid admission to the zoo.
DCM’s Making Faces with Nancy Pia @Delaware Children’s Museum
- 9a-4:30p | Channel your inner artist and join us for a special hands-on workshop with local artist Nancy Pia, Saturday April 20, as she shows kids how common, everyday objects can be used to create colorful self-portraits in “Making Faces with Nancy Pia.” Visit www.delawarechildrensmuseum.org
4th Annual Kids’ Greenfest @Newark Center for Creative Learning
- 10a – 3p | FREE Admission. Rain or Shine. 4th Annual Kids’ Greenfest @Newark Center for Creative Learning, 401 Phillips Ave. Newark, DE. Journey down the path for a greener future! Kids and families are invited to try hands-on activities to learn about green technology, energy alternatives, wildlife, food and conservation. Follow the green footprints to find new ways save money and the planet! Kid-led exhibits as well as sustainability experts will share practical, easy methods for changes everyone can make. Guest speakers include U.S. Senator Chris Coons and Dr. Richard Wool, University of Delaware. Activities will include recycled art projects, a bike rodeo, seed planting station, a green footprint scavenger hunt for prizes, storytelling, face painting, a kids’ book swap, kids clothing and toy resale, giveaways and much more! Bring gently used books to trade for more books. Bring a bike to join the bike rodeo at nearby Phillips Park. Free admission, free parking, event held rain or shine. Sponsored by World Class Products and The Bike Boutique! For information, call 302-368-7772 or visit: www.ncclschool.com.
Kalmar Nyckel Ship & Shipyard Tours Wilmington
- Sat April 20th & Sun April 21st | Ahoy Landlubbers!! Come see the Kalmar Nyckel, the Tall Ship of Delaware and one of the most significant tall ships in the world. We welcome ‘youth of all ages’ to climb aboard her grand decks. You can see her 10-story high mainmast, 7,800 square feet of sails, 9 miles of rigging, and the 4 cannons. Tours describe the daily life onboard a 17th Century ship, including topics such as: Food, Drink, Sleep, Sanitation, Daily Routines, Entertainment, Punishment, Navigation, and Dangers. For more info, visit http://northdelawhere.happeningmag.com/ai1ec_event/kalmar-nyckel-ship-shipyard-tours-delaware?instance_id=1447416
Brandywine Creek’s Annual Kite Day
- 1pm – 3 pm | Celebrate Earth Day with music and making and flying your own kite! Brandywine Creek State Park Presented by Delaware State Parks Admission: $3 per kite
Act today…visit act.earthday.org or click here to pledge!
A BILLION ACTS OF GREEN