Well, that was the question at The Wilmington Burger Battle when nearly 1,000 Burger lovers tasted, tested and voted. We’ve got the results!
The Second Annual Wilmington Burger Battle, presented by the Kenny Family Foundation on Saturday, August 24, 2013 at Twin Lakes Brewing Company. Preliminary numbers indicate that approximately $7,000 was raised for Ministry of Caring’s Emmanuel Dining Room. Redfire Grill & Steakhouse took home the Critic’s Choice trophy. Union City Grille retained the title of People’s Choice~taking home a trophy for the second year in a row.
“Critic’s Choice “
Nage & Union City Grille (tied)
Buckley’s Tavern, Ernest & Scott Taproom
Union City Grille
Redfire Grill & Steakhouse
Participants and Description of their Entry in the Competition:
WINNER: Redfire Grill & Steakhouse – Beef Burger, Cheddar, Maple-Pepper Bacon
WINNER: Union City Grille – Angus Burger, Heirloom Tomatoes
- Nage – Ground Prime Rib, Smoked Onion, Gouda Cheese, Mushroom Duxelle
- BBC Tavern – Bison Burger Sliders
- Buckley’s Tavern – Buckley Burger, Applewood-Smoked Bacon, English Farmhouse Cheddar and Lettuce and Tomato
- Ernest & Scott Taproom – Boneless Short Rib, Chuck and Brisket Beef Blend on Brioche, Red Onion Marmalade, Sauteed Shiitake, Bourbon BBQ Sauce, Crispy Onion, Bacon, Tarragon Truffle Aioli and Chipotle Aioli
- Chelsea Tavern – Beef Burger, Housemade Basil Mozzarella, Local Tomatoes, WIT Beer Balsamic Reduction, Basil Aioli
- 2 Fat Guys – Mac ‘N’ Cheese slider, All-American Sauce (red pepper, ketchup, mustard, relish)
- Cantwell’s Tavern – Lamb Burger, Thai Chili, Roasted Garlic Tziki, Manchego Cheese
- Jake’s Wayback Burgers – Carolina Burger
- Kid Shelleen’s – Turkey Burger, Avocado, Pea Shoots, Tomato-Chili Relish
- Kildare’s Irish Pub – Sizzling Burger, Chipotle Mayo, Pepper Jack Cheese
- Pizza By Elizabeths – Hot Dog Burger
- Ulysses Gastropub – Venison Burger, Pickled Vegetables
- World Cafe Live at the Queen – Beef Burger, Housemade Whiskey Bun, Cambazola cheese, Onion Jam
- Home Grown Café – Housemade Veggie Burger (brown rice, beets, chocolate, avocado, smoked mushrooms), arugula and pickled red onion; and, Angus Beef Burger, Chocolate-dipped bacon, with chili pepper spice
The Wilmington Burger Battle was founded in 2012 by Matthew Curtis, chef/owner of Union City Grille, and JulieAnne Cross, owner of PR agency CrossPro. In two years, the event has raised over $11,000 for the Ministry of Caring’s Emmanuel Dining Room, drawn nearly 1,000 guests to Twin Lakes Brewing Company, and 23 unique restaurants, nine of which have participated both years, donating all food.
In addition to the Kenny Family Foundation, the second annual Wilmington Burger Battle was also sponsored by Out & About Magazine, free + abel, Delmarva Power, ZZHouse and Burning Brainstorm.
Restaurants interested in participating in the 3rd annual event next summer are encouraged to contact [email protected] Potential guests, sponsors, media and others can contact [email protected] or visit wilmingtonburgerbattle.com.