Race season is on! You have got to be ready with a quick, cool and festive signature cocktail for your P2P tailgate or that Preakness party you’re planning. Whatever the reason – these cocktails will make you feel like you are in the middle of all the action. Get gussied up, throw on that fancy hat, and sip on one of these authentic triple crown cocktails; The Mint Julep (Kentucky Derby), The Black Eyed Susan (The Preakness), the Belmont Breeze or the Belmont Jewel (Belmont Stakes)!
It’s ALMOST as fun as being there!
TALK DERBY TO ME…
The Mint Julep is featured in honor of “the Greatest two minutes in sports“, the Kentucky Derby. The Mint Julep has been the traditional beverage of Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby for nearly a century. Each year, almost 120,000 Mint Juleps are served over the two-day period of Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby weekend at Churchill Downs Racetrack. That’s a feat that requires more than 10,000 bottles of Old Forester Mint Julep Ready-to-Serve Cocktail, 1,000 pounds of freshly harvested mint and 60,000 pounds of ice.
The Old Forester Mint Julep Recipe
Cool as Kentucky. Fresh As Spring.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- Sprigs of fresh mint
- Crushed ice
- Old Forester Straight Bourbon Whisky
- Silver Julep Cups
- Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together for five minutes. Cool and place in a covered container with six or eight sprigs of fresh mint, then refrigerate overnight.
- Make one julep at a time by filling a julep cup with crushed ice, adding one tablespoon mint syrup and two ounces of Old Forester Kentucky Whisky.
- Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost the outside of the cup.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
The official mint julep glass is the most popular souvenir for Derby guests and will become a collector’s item. They make great gifts for your guests and look even better with the drink inside!
Horse racing and whiskey cocktails seem to go hand-hand. The Black Eyed Susan is the official cocktail of the Preakness stakes, the second leg of horse racing’s Triple Crown. You don’t have to be at the Pimlico Race Track to enjoy this cocktail.
The Blacked Eye Susan
- 2 shots Bourbon
- 1 shot Citrus flavored Vodka
- Sweet & Sour Drink Mix
- Orange juice
- Orange slice
- Cocktail cherry
- In highball glass (6oz) add bourbon and vodka over ice.
- Fill to 3/4 with Sweet & Sour Drink Mix
- Top off glass with orange juice.
- Stir and Garnish with orange slice & cherry.
These are delicious – sweet and potent – don’t drink too many and make sure you have a designated driver or are close enough to walk home after the Preakness!
Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously & strain over ice into a collins glass. Garnish with an orange slice and a cherry then serve and enjoy.
The BELMONT STAKES
The Belmont Stakes is definitley not an easy breezy race for the thoroughbred’s or their jockey’s. One trip around Belmont Park on the first Saturday in June is a daunting 1½ miles. That’s about the longest race any thoroughbred will ever run in his life. Jockeys rarely ride that far, either, so when it comes to strategy, there are all kinds of opinions on what it takes to be successful in racing’s “Test of the Champion.’’
- 1 1/2 oz Stetson Bourbon
- 1/2 oz Dry Sack Medium Dry Sherry
- 1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 oz simple syrup
- 1 1/2 oz fresh orange juice
- splash of orange juice
- splash of cranberry juice
- 5 mint leaves
- 1 mint sprig
- 1 orange zest
- Shake all ingredients with ice & strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with fresh mint sprig and orange peel.
- Serve and enjoy
Another Belmont Option…The Belmont Jewel
The best times are enjoyed responsibly. Please don’t drink and drive.
This article is presented by:
Premier Wine & Spirits, offers shoppers the best in service, value, products and experience. Choose from over 600 options in the ever growing craft beer portfolio and thousands of options in the wine and spirits inventory. The Premier Wine & Spirits Experience doesn’t end with their expansive product lines but also carries over to their weekly tastings and gourmet selection of light snacks that pair perfectly with every bottle in the store!
Fine Wine, Craft Beers and Spirits Store | Delaware’s Premier Wine and Spirits
2 locations to serve you
– 2052 Limestone Road in Pike Creek and 23 West Market Street in Newport.
LIMESTONE Location: (302) 996-9463 | NEWPORT Location: (302) 999-1500
Limestone Hours: Mon – Sat: 10AM -10PM, Sun: 12 Noon – 8PM
Newport Hours: Mon – Thurs: 12 Noon – 8PM, Fri/Sat: 12 Noon – 9PM
Leave A Comment