Red, white and BLUEtiful! A simple cake-mix cake recipe guaranteed to be the easy and happening hit of your next patriotic gathering. Have fun POKing it haha.
Red, White & Blue Poke Cake Recipe
- White or yellow cake mix
- One box of red flavored gelatin (Jello) – raspberry, strawberry or cherry
- Cool Whip as topping
- Strawberries & Blueberries to decorate
EASY STEPS to PREPARE
- Prepare an ordinary white or yellow cake mix according to box directions. Use a sheet cake (9 x 13) baking pan.
- After cake cools for 15 minutes at least, POKE holes with a wooden spoon(handle end). If you can help it, the holes should not go all the way through cake to the bottom of the pan. The entire cake should be poked this way with holes every 1/2 – 3/4 inches.
- Prepare a large box of flavored gelatin per the instructions BUT do not chill.
- Pour cooled gelatin liquid evenly over entire cake. Holes in the cake will allow gelatin to seep into the cake.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator until gelatin firms, about 1-2 hours. (optional – if you do not have time, non-chilling at this point will not seriously impact overall result – we’ve have tested)
- Spread the cool whipped topping over top of cake, decorate with strawberries & blueberries in flag pattern according to photo above.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate. If you are taking this with you to a party, decorate just prior to leaving your house for best results.